Deeper Life Daily Manna Devotional
Date: 26th May 2021
Topic: COURAGEOUS ACT OF FAITH
TEXT: Exodus 2:1-1
1. And there went a man of the house of Levi, and took to wife a daughter of Levi.
2. And the woman conceived, and bare a son; and when she saw him that he was a goodly child, she hid him three months.
3. And when she could not longer hide him, she took for him an ark of bulrushes, and daubed it with slime and with pitch, and put the child therein; and she laid it in the flags by the river’s brink.
4. And his sister stood afar off, to wit what would be done to him.
5. And the daughter of Pharaoh came down to wash herself at the river; and her maidens walked along by the river’s side; and when she saw the ark among the flags, she sent her maid to fetch it.
6. And when she had opened it, she saw the child; and, behold, the babe wept. And she had compassion on him, and said, This is one of the Hebrews’ children.
7. Then said his sister to Pharaoh’s daughter, Shall I go and call to thee a nurse of the Hebrew women, that she may nurse the child for thee?
8. And Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, Go. And the maid went and called the child’s mother.
9. And Pharaoh’s daughter said unto her, Take this child away, and nurse it for me, and I will give thee thy wages. And the woman took the child, and nursed it.
10. And the child grew, and she brought him unto Pharaoh’s daughter, and he became her son. And she called his name Moses; and she said, Because I drew him out of the water.
Key Verse: Exodus 2:3
“And when she could not longer hide him, she took for him an ark of bulrushes, and daubed it with slime and with pitch, and put the child therein; and she laid it in the flags by the river’s brink.”
An extract from Johnnye V. Chandler’s Poem-like article ‘Stand in Faith’ reads; “Stand in faith, even when you can’t see your way; Stand in faith, knowing that He can change your situation suddenly… Even in those times you feel it’s hard to pray; Stand in faith, And believe that He has already made the way, Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen, so stand in faith, because you already have the victory!”
Moses was born at a critical time when Pharaoh, king of Egypt, had ordered the killing of every Hebrew male child that was newly born. Moses’ mother was not able to change Pharaoh’s inhuman law but took courageous steps of faith by initially hiding this goodly child for three months. Later she put him in a small ark of bulrushes and laid it by the river brink with Mariam, Moses’ elder sister watching from afar, to see what would become of the child. God used her little efforts of acting in faith to reunite mother and son, placing Moses, a Hebrew in the house of Pharaoh; and also to begin the accomplishment of His plan to rescue Israel from Egypt through Moses.
Challenges, difficult circumstances and trials are universal experiences to all, including the Christian. We are not exempted from the vicissitudes of life. But the good news, however, is that Christ overcame and we shall also emerge victorious if we follow His steps.
Whenever we are faced with the battles of life, we should act in faith by trusting God to take care of us knowing that His promises can never fail. God expects us to trust Him no matter the trials we are going through. You may feel you are in the bulrushes of life right now but all you need to do is to fix your gaze on Christ and He will show you the way out.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Faith in God brings consistent victory.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 1 Samuel 12-13
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.
Share This Devotional With Others